Red Wine: Variation Of Grapes Used And Its Health Benefits
Wine is truly a cherished beverage, served all around the world and in almost every occasion. If we walk down the memory lane, the earliest production of this beverage can be traced back in 6000 BC in Georgia and Iran. The production and consumption of wine has been then considered to be religious. Dionysus and Bacchus were worshipped as God of wine by Greeks and Romans respectively.
Grapes used in wine production
Wine manufacturers across the world produce these grapes under proper care and observation. Once the grapes are of ripe, the workers are handpicked and then sent for processing of red wine. There are six different types of red grapes that are utilized for making the various types of wines. Let’s take a look at the grapes used:
- Chianti: This particular type of grape has its origin in the 15th century and the wine produced is considered to be best in Italy.
- Cabernet Sauvigon: This is q new type of grape that gained its popularity during the 18th century and onwards.
- Pinot Noir: Quite common in France, this grape type has its origin during the Roman reign and was mostly used by the Christian priests.
- Zinfandel: Discovered during the 1830s in the United States, this grape is still used for the production of wine.
- Merlot: This is perhaps the oldest type of grape which was cultivated during the first century in France.
- Sangiovese: This grape is said to have its origin in Tuscany and is also used for making wines in the United States.
As per research conducted, it was noted that this particular wine was used for medicinal purposes during 3150 B.C. Even Hippocrates, “the father of modern medicine”, referred this beverage to be suitable for curing fever, wound infections and also as a nutritional food.
Health beneficial aspects of this beverage
- In contrast to the common belief that alcohol hinders the sleep of an individual, this particular beverage is said to contain melatonin which facilitates in sleep. Acting as an anti-oxidant, melatonin works by maintaining the “internal clock” of an individual, thus allowing a person to have proper sleep. Apart from this, this ingredient has also been found helpful in preventing cancer.
- Considered to be good for heart, red wine contains flavonoids that are beneficial in lowering the LDL cholesterol level and raising the HDL cholesterol level. This wine also acts as a blood thinner, preventing dangerous blood clotting.
- Drinking a glass of wine after a day’s of hard work obviously calms your mind. This is because it acts a natural soporific drug that reduces signs of anxiety and stress.
- Red wines contain resveratrol that has been found to be quite helpful to tackle the various age related disorders. Also, this ingredient acts as a strong antioxidant to reverse aging signs. It was also observed that resveratrol helped in the prevention of prostate cancer.
In conclusion, it can be rightly said that red wines are not only the best to be served in any occasion but also beneficial for one’s health. You can search the internet to know more about the health beneficial aspects of wine.
Author’s Bio: Simon Hopes is a leading author writing various contents regarded to the variety of wines available. Being a wine lover himself, he emphasizes his readers to experience the health beneficial aspect of the red wine.