What Are The Advantages Of Steel Gates And How To Maintain Them?
Steel is one of the sturdiest materials known to the mankind. The properties of steel that make it useful are
- It is strong
- It is corrosion resistant
- It may bend but does not break easily
- It is durable and may even last a lifetime
- Hs a great look
What are the advantages of installing steel gates?
All these features of steel make it the most preferred material for the use in the gates. The steel gates are not only beautiful to look at but also offer mush desired safety and security t your home.
The best part with gates made of steel is that, they are durable, easy to operate, fire, moisture and insect resistant, and they can be molded, and customized into any shapes according to the needs of the user. These gates are aesthetically very pleasing and sturdy at the same time.
The main benefits of having steel gates in front of your home are
Security: the steel gates provide security from breaking in because they are extremely hard to penetrate. Also, they will not allow anybody who is not known to you or is not wanted in your home to enter your home. For this you will have to install the electronic security system along with the steel gates that will make the security of your home breach proof.
Cost effectiveness: if you look at the cost versus the life of the gate metal gives you the best cost effectiveness. The steel gates have very long life and if you compare this metal with wood or plastic it is much more superior in all respects.
Visual appeal: though metal in its real form may not appear to be appealing, it can however be made appealing by various types of surface treatments. The chrome finish of steel makes it shiny and smooth and helps it get a reflective surface in order to make it more attractive. The steel gates are available in various styles and designs.
How to maintain and protect your steel gates?
The gates in front of your premise are not only a requirement but also are a means to enhance the beauty of your house. But this only possible if you take care of your steel gates by making it a habit to do these things. If at all rust is seen on the surface it should be rubbed off with the use of sand paper. Then priming and then adding fresh coat of paint over the surface.
- Sandblasting this is a great method of cleaning the surface of the steel gates. Since it is metal therefore needs a smooth surface to protect it from rusting again.
- Epoxy primer is one of the materials that can keep the surface of steel protected from rust and other environmental factors. This is the best material to go for the environment that receives high rainfall and humidity. This option is an expensive one but is best for the steel gates that have to bear all kinds of environmental conditions.
- Galvanizing can also protect the surface of steel from rust and other corrosion effects. The coating is done by dipping the surface of steel in molten zinc. This coat is then allowed to dry to create a long lasting zinc coating on the surface of steel gates.
You can opt for hot-tip galvanization for a more durable zinc layer. In fact, when you buy the steel gates, you can get different options with advanced locking systems, and with motorized and electrical devices that can be installed on to the gate, so that the steel gates can be opened and closed accordingly.