Traveling to Gold Coast for a long vacation should be an exciting experience, especially if you are not from Australia. This coast city has many things to offer – too many that you may find it overwhelming. If you are staying in Gold Coast for a limited number of days, it is best that you plan your itinerary well to fully enjoy the experience.
There are countless travel and tourism articles that provide a plethora of tips and tricks, but this one should be able to give you more insights about the local experience. In order to enjoy Gold Coast and its neighboring suburbs, do what locals do.
- Instead of bringing too much of your local money, say US dollars, it is more advisable to withdraw money using your ATM card. While you can always go for foreign exchange shops, you are more likely to get better rate using your ATM card. However, make sure to take note of the overseas withdrawal fees imposed by your bank.
- Larger businesses like restaurants, supermarkets, department stress and hotels accept major credit cards such as MasterCard, Visa, and some American Express; however, small businesses usually only take cash. This is why it would be a better option to withdraw money using your ATM card or to have your local money changed into AUD at a foreign exchange shop.
- The most fun activities in Gold Coast are best enjoyed when the sun is high and the weather is warm. If you want to experience the most out of your Gold Coast trip, you may want to schedule your travel outside the winter months or June to August. During these months, temperature can go low as 8° C (46.4° F), which will easily bar you from enjoying the capital’s breath-taking beaches. However, if you can’t help but to travel to Gold Coast during the winter months, you can still enjoy your stay just don’t expect to do the activities usually enjoyed during the warmer months, such as swimming, surfing, and other water sports.
- If you have the luxury of the time, spend a day or two just walking around Gold Coast and its nearby suburbs. Grab a drink at some local pubs, eat the tasty gourmet burgers surfers, or pay visit to a museum. There are lots and lots to see. You would also want to try authentic Australian foods as they are abundant in almost every corner of the capital. However, if you are coming from the U.S., expect that many of the foods they serve may have the similar taste with the ones you enjoy home.
- The Gold Coast is not only famous for its iconic surf spots but also for its food, burgers specifically. If you are in Gold Coast, don’t make the mistake not to munch on the world-famous gourmet burgers surfers as they are absolutely and incredibly tasty. The best bang for the buck if you are looking for burgers that are to die for without spending too much.
- Australians have a very active local sports scene. Some of the most popular sports include “footy” or Australian football, rugby, soccer, tennis, and cricket. Before traveling to Gold Coast, check the schedule of the sporting events near the place where you will be staying. Witnessing how passionate Australian fans are will definitely be a unique experience.
In summary, if you wish to visit for a long stay in Gold Coast, do what locals do, and enjoy each moment you will have. The city has many things to offer other than its scenic spots. If you are in Gold Coast, savor each moment, immerse yourself to its culture, eat the food, meet new friends, and enjoy the waters!